Friday, January 10, 2014

Goodbye 2013 and HELLO 2014


2013 was a great year for my family and I am inspired by the possibilities of the New Year.  Personally, in 2013, I became a little more adventurous and relaxed at the same time.   I took a risk with writing this blog and asking you to read it, too. Thank you!  I am happy that I took that risk and I invite you to continue to follow me in 2014.  


The coming year will focus on eating healthy and getting your kids to do the same.  I will have lots of new recipes and some challenges that will make you question and reflect on your eating habits.

Before 2013 is too far in the past, a recap of our recent travels with food allergies is in order.  At the end of 2013, my family ventured home to Colorado. 
We used all of the ‘tools’ in our toolbox in order to fly across the country, sled, hike, ski, play, escape, and repeat a cross country flight.  Chipotle came through once again for providing a safe meal for the whole family on multiple occasions.   We were able to bring back 5 loaves of Outside the Bread Box bread.  If you live in Colorado or a surrounding state, you should check out this bread because it is wonderful. 









Packed lunches are a must at the ski resort and help prevent that awkward cadence of stomping around in ski boots while trying to balance hot cocoa and a bowl of soup.  







We had trusting family and friends who helped to watch our kids and they included us in all of the fun.  My dear friends and neighbors introduced me to two new things.  First, I learned that Costco has a great vegan, GF, ready to cook, cookie dough mix. It made yummy cookies for a unique birthday cake.  Secondly, Gwyneth Paltrow actually has a great cook book called It’s All Good.  So get beyond your preconceived notions of movie stars, read it, and cook from it.  



We decided to carry along a thermos full of heated baked potato in the case of flight delays on our return to Virginia.  It happened to come in very handy at O’Hare airport in Chicago.  Fortunately, we did not need to figure out how to live in an airport for 3 days with kids with food allergies.


My visit was fun, enlightening, and offered me a chance at perspective for the coming year.  I was able to live for a short time in my future life, but return to my Virginia life.  I have returned with renewed enthusiasm for savoring the time we have left on our adventure.  Please join me!


No comments:

Post a Comment