Monday, December 22, 2014

A Bit of Vintage for Christmas

Tis the season for many things…from gifts and sweets to traditions and memories.  I have been thinking about memories and traditions to help refocus my attention. 
Did you get a sweater from your grandparents, also?
Grandma Helen
My grandmother's home was always warm and welcoming at Christmas and bustling with activity. She was the matriarch to a family of 11 children.  I lived in a small farm town and she lived in the city, so going to see my grandparents was always exciting.  She often served a salad at Christmas that seemed so exotic and fancy to a small town farm girl because it had avocados and grapefruit.  It seemed like the only produce that came to my small town was iceberg lettuce.  It made an impression.

I asked my mom to share her mother’s recipe as best she could remember.




Grapefruit and Avocado Salad with Bleu Cheese Dressing

2 grapefruit, peeled, and sectioned carefully to maintain the juicy fruit
2 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced into ½ inch sections
A bed of lettuce…iceberg is perfect, watercress would be extra fancy.
Drizzled with homemade bleu cheese dressing



Peel
Carefully remove skin from fruit

Remove fruit in a whole section




Bleu Cheese Dressing
2 parts crumbled bleu cheese
2 parts canola oil
1 part water
Combine dressing ingredients in a blender until blended and smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment