Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Oatmeal Cookies "The Best"

A little love
Baking is an endeavor of love.  People who bake are usually thinking of another person and their gift of baked goods is meant to cheer, comfort, or show appreciation.  


Food allergies presents a problem if love comes in the shape of cookie.





As a child, I had a whole list of cookies to choose from when someone asked me what was my favorite cookie.  I usually defaulted to any cookie that contained chocolate, until my mom started making "The Best" oatmeal cookies. If someone asked my kids that same question, they would likely answer "Newman O's".


Today, when my kids some home from school, I can offer all of them homemade oatmeal cookies . This is a revision of the same recipe that my mom used when I was child.  Her recipe called for 3 eggs, but I substituted the eggs for flax eggs for a great result.  
Oatmeal Cookie "the best"


Oatmeal Cookies "The Best"

2 flax eggs, link:  Flax Egg
2 tablespoons rice milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup non-dairy butter or butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour or gluten free flour mixture
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup oatmeal

Prepare flax eggs.


Tips for flax eggs:  combine the ground flax seeds with the Ener-G egg replacer with a fork to combine well.  Add 1/2 cup of boiling water and stir to mix well.


Combine raisins, flax egg, vanilla, and rice milk and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes.

Cream together butter and sugars.  Add flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda to sugar mixture and mix well.  Blend in raisin and flax mixture followed by oatmeal.


Using a small size cookie scoop, drop cookie dough evenly onto a baking sheet.



Bake for 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes.


Great for your next hike


No comments:

Post a Comment