Thursday, September 5, 2013

No Chicken Needed-Flax Eggs

I love chickens, don't get me wrong.  I had chickens named after the characters in 'Grease' and I can be an impromptu instructor of the Chicken Dance at weddings, but we just can't eat eggs.  Two of my kids are allergic to eggs, but they still love cakes and cookies.  A flax egg is an easy alternative that works great in baked goods.

A vintage egg dish that is more about art and less about eggs.


Flax is a seed and is known for being rich in Omega 3's, antioxidants and for benefits related to cancer prevention and digestive health.  The most effective way to obtain these benefits is by grinding the seed in a coffee grinder or spice grinder.  Grinding the seeds is also needed for making a flax egg.

Flax Egg
makes one egg

1 1/2 TBSP of ground flax seed
1/4 cup of warm water

Mix the two and let stand for 5-10 minutes until thickened.  Whip with a whisk or fork and then add to your recipe as you would an egg.

I have better luck substituting a flax egg for recipes calling for 1-2 eggs and in baking items like cookies, quick breads, and cakes.  Refer to my recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins for use of a flax egg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment