Friday, September 13, 2013

The Spontaneity Toolkit for Food Allergies

GET OUT AND SEE THE WORLD!
I changed the view of my blog to reflect my recent revelations related to traveling with food allergies and kids.  Admittedly, we have not been the most adventurous family due to our children's food allergies.  We recently broke out of our shell and started to travel more than in previous years.  I am devoting my posts over the next few weeks to what we have learned and experienced while traveling with food allergies.

A part of traveling is being open to the adventures that arise in the moment-spontaneity!  This should be fun, but with food allergies it can be stressful. The moment often presents a choice that must be made about going forward or holding back.   We have opted to not go out for a meal or to even join an activity that may go past a meal time because we lacked the food for our children. 

So how does one act spontaneously for fun adventure when it comes to being allergic to milk, peanuts, soy, eggs and wheat?  It requires planning to be spontaneous!

Here is my 'Spontaneity Tool Kit Essential List':

The PLAN: Try to know the where, when, how long, why, etc.  When you know where you are going, you will be able to make a search for allergy friendly restaurants and food stores.  When you know about when and how long, you can plan on how much food you need to bring.   The 'why' is helpful for knowing if you need to bring a dessert item if the occasion is a birthday party.

  • The LIST:  I wish I could remember everything, but I can't.  Be specific!  I find that if I write "bring lunch" it has a better chance of making it into the car.

    The TOOLS:  The right tools help when packing food for the day or for the week.   I pictured my favorites like Contigo brand thermos and drink cups and cupcake holders for birthday parties.  I also think it's helpful to have a cooler, blue ice, lunch box, microwave safe dish (glass)for heating up foods, and a can opener.  I also love my Zojirushi rice cooker (more on that later!).

The FOOD:   I bring certain food items on each trip because they provide either a nutritious meal or they are extremely handy.  Here are some examples: cans of vegetarian refried beans, easy open cans of veggies, applesauce pouches, shelf stable milk boxes/juices, granola bars.  I even bring breakfast muffins, some precooked meals, and maybe some lunch meat, rice cheese and GF bread.  When traveling to new and sometimes, remote places; it's good to have a supply of the basics and then supplement with items you can purchase at any store or gas station. 

The ROOM:  We try to stay with family or friends, rent a house, or stay in a hotel that has a microwave and refrigerator.  Some suite rooms have a full kitchen (with a freezer). 

The CAMERA:  Take it; you are going to have a great time!

 
 
Pictured to the left is my crew hiking Tinker Cliffs near Roanoke, VA.  We packed a lunch for everyone and hiked for about 6 hours.  At the end of the day, we ate at one of our favorite allergy friendly restaurants, Chipotle Mexican Grill.


No comments:

Post a Comment