Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Stir Fry Chicken with Non-Soy Sauce

Since the introduction of soy as an allergy into our household, I stopped making stir fry dishes because of the essential ingredient of soy sauce.  We felt a little deprived, but we managed for many years. 

Recently, I went through a fresh ahi tuna stage and craved soy sauce and ginger as a pairing with the fish.  I didn’t mind using the soy sauce as I was adding it as a sauce and not as a marinade that would end up contaminating the fish.  The sauce I made was a big hit and so I was encouraged by my husband to reintroduce a stir fry dish to our weeknight menu.  I made a non-soy sauce for my son, and now I serve it along with our stir fry dishes and use something similar to marinate the chicken. The marinade is soy free and made with fresh ginger, garlic, and rice vinegar. 

3-4 chicken breasts, pounded flat
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon rice vinegar

Each chicken breast needs to be pounded with a meat tenderizer until flat and to ½ inch thickness.  Add the garlic, ginger, and vinegar into a Ziploc bag with the chicken and marinate for 30-60 minutes.

Grill, bake, or pan saute chicken until done.





2- 12 ounce bags of frozen stir fry vegetables
Steam the vegetables until done.  I use one of my favorite kitchen tools; a Le Creuset stove top steamer pot. I love it!

Serve with cooked rice.  If you cook rice and have a busy life, consider this Zojirushi rice cooker.  It makes excellent rice and even has a timer. I can leave the house in the morning with the rice set to be done for an early dinner.  You must see it to believe it!













Non-Soy Sauce
1 clove of minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sliced green onion (optional)
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)

This sauce has everything you like about a soy sauce, but without the soy! 

More about the ahi tuna...Sear it on each side, serve with the special sauce and sushi rice.  The rice cooker also makes great sushi rice!






No comments:

Post a Comment